Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Volunteers from Connally High School, Pflugerville ISD!







Each week, 4-5 students from Connally High School volunteer at the Wells Branch Community Library. They make sure library materials are in the correct order on the shelves. The students carefully arrange various sections including the DVDs, VHS, CDs, and graphic novels (comic books).

The students volunteer at the library to experience basic, work-based training with a focus on clerical skills. Ben Hooks is their coordinator, and Sharon Glover is their job coach. When asked what they have learned from their volunteer experience at the library, they replied:

"I file DVDs. DVDs are shelved by numbers."
"I learned to shelf graphic novels."
"Nonfiction file by number, then by alphabet."
"One of the things I learned was how to stack books and cds on the shelves."
"One other thing I learned was how to work with other people to get things done faster."
"I shelved CDs."
"I shelved DVDs by number"

We appreciate their diligent help and desire to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment