Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Friday, December 17, 2010
Let me know if you have any questions!
Click here to take survey
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Don't worry. There is a remedy for over-resolution-itus. The secret is simplicity. Nothing packs a better spiritually-satisfying punch than volunteering! Getting started couldn't be easier. You're already part of a community. You have a library in that community. And that library has an upcoming inventory that needs volunteers. All you have to do is tell the volunteer coordinator you'd like to sign up! You'll be scheduled to volunteer for the inventory, assist with an important library function which will benefit the community and leave you feeling shiny and new inside. Simple!
Our upcoming resolution-friendly inventory is scheduled for Thursday, January 27, 2011. Please let me know if you'd like to help and get your new year started off on a giving path. No running or complicated decisions necessary and our inventory refreshment menu is cabbage-free.
Remember, Wells Branch Community Library is your Resolution Friendly Zone for 2011!
Monday, December 6, 2010
If you weren't able to attend the party, be sure to pick up one of the snowflake bookmarks in the Volunteer Corner.
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
We'll also have gifts for volunteers as an additional token of our appreciation.
Feel free to bring a guest to this special, end-of-year event!
RSVP to Beth to attend!
Friday, October 15, 2010
Special Programs for October:
Pumpkin Painting, Saturday, October 23: WBCL will become part library and part pumpkin patch. Kids and their families will get to paint their very own pumpkin and we need to harvest up some helpful volunteers. We need about 8-10 volunteers to help with set-up, decoration and clean-up. 9:30 - 12:30
Fall Festival, Saturday, October 30: We're having a party! Volunteers will be needed to help man a variety of festive booths, including games and crafts. We'll need about 10 volunteers for this event from 2:00 - 5:00.
We'll also need a volunteer willing to act as photographer for both of these events (camera provided).
If either of these strikes your fancy, just let me know! It's easy and you're guaranteed to have a great time. You can also sign up at the Volunteer corner of the circulation desk. A sign-up sheet is posted on the WBCL Volunteer News bulletin board.
Thursday, October 7, 2010
WBCL has scheduled an inventory day for Thursday, October 28 from 10-8. As usual, we will be closed to the public that day, but all staff members will be hard at work getting our collection in tip-top shape. We welcome any and all volunteers to help us carry out this task. You read about how well our last inventory went due to volunteer participation, and I'd love to write another brag post for this one too.
Please let me know if you'd be interested in helping us out that day. You will have fun! You will have food!
You will keep me from making any additional puns? That's a hearty incentive, isn't it?
Friday, September 24, 2010
One primary purpose of this blog is to lavish our volunteers with praise and never let our appreciation go unspoken. However, there is that famous saying "a picture is worth a thousand words."
I'll let the photo do the blogging for me today. Just let it be said that your hard work spares us an inky burial by book. We can't thank you enough. One more thing, the first three volunteers to comment on this blog with a guess as to who that buried staff member is, will win a prize!
Monday, August 16, 2010
The Retreat is scheduled to take place at the library on September 12, 2010 between 1-4 p.m.
Please contact me if you are interested in joining us.
Friday, August 6, 2010
Take a minute and step away from the books, the carts, the classes and the circulation desk. It's time for another well-deserved Volunteer Appreciation Event!
Come mingle with other volunteers and staff while enjoying refreshments from Kenny's Coffee House http://kennyscoffeeco.com/
Date: Thursday, August 12, 2010
Time: 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Place: Wells Branch Community Library Quiet Reading Room
Please join us, even if you are a student whose summer volunteering has come to an end. You're still deserving of a thank you!
Friday, July 30, 2010
We had about 12 volunteers participate throughout the day. We even had two new volunteers jump right in and fearlessly tackle the inventory. Because of all of your help, this inventory was the most efficient one yet. The entire staff was amazed by how well everyone pitched in and got everything accomplished. It was a historical moment for us and we have you to thank.
If you haven't already, pick up your thank you note by the sign-in binder.
Wells Branch Community Library. Best. Volunteers. Ever.
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Vote for your favorite pet photo from the library's May pet photo contest! The pictures are displayed across from the front desk. Provide either your name or library card number when voting. We will announce winners on June 15. Come to the library to cast your vote this week!
Just for fun, here's a recent photo of my dog Pogo.
Friday, June 4, 2010
This week I created a new volunteer schedule. It's in the staff workroom on a large, white board. I like this method of displaying volunteer shifts and assignments for many reasons:
- I can easily update it with a dry erase marker.
- It's large and visible!
- It's easy to read.
- I can add special notes next to names.
Step inside the staff room, turn left, and check out the new white board. Let me know what you think, and share your ideas for improvement!
Lisa Metzer, your volunteer coordinator
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Monday, May 24, 2010
Do you like having a neat library and putting things in order?
Do you enjoy meeting new people?
We have new volunteer opportunities at the library! Some of them require a 6-month commitment; others last for the summer. All of them benefit the library and provide great experience.
We truly appreciate our current volunteers. Please share these new opportunities with you family and friends! They are available on VolunteerMatch.
Friday, May 7, 2010
We gathered in the Library's Quiet Reading Room for this event. Decorations revealed a bright, summer theme.
Thanks to all for attending, and I hope to see you at the next volunteer appreciation event!
Monday, May 3, 2010
Originally uploaded by lmmetzer
Don't forget the Volunteer Appreciation Kick-Off is this week! The theme is summer and kites. Pick up a handmade invitation by the volunteer binder. Our volunteer Georgia created the invitations. Thanks, Georgia!
This event will be in to the Library's Reading Room. We will have special refreshments and decorations to celebrate our volunteers and the beginning of summer. Meet other volunteers and our library managers!
If you haven't attended one of our previous appreciation events (both at Kenny's Coffee House), you won't want to miss this opportunity. And if you have attended a past event, you know just how special they are. You may come and go as your schedule permits. Please stop by so we can appreciate you!
The menu includes pigs in a blanket, fresh fruit salad, pasta or potato salad, and cupcakes.
We look forward to seeing you Thursday, May 6 @ 6pm.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Each month, Genia selects a theme, frames the artwork, prints and mounts descriptive text, and gathers related library materials. April's theme is Democracy!
"I love your exhibit because everywhere you look there is a fact about America . . . I learned so much!
"Excellent! Don't get to go see art as much as I would like to so I really appreciate the Picturing America series."
Genia is making a difference at the library!
Picturing America is a program from the National Endowment for the Humanities in cooperation with the America Library Association that brings high-quality reproductions of notable America art into libraries and schools across the nation.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
She volunteers with her children because they feel very home in a library. The work also improves their reading and sequencing skills.
Today, they returned picture books to the correct bins and organized the mythology section. We appreciate their attention to the details. They do excellent work and make the library a better place!
Monday, April 5, 2010
Monday, March 22, 2010
Originally uploaded by lmmetzer
To celebrate the new season - Spring! - we made new name tags for our exceptional volunteers. Library associate Cassidy Austin created the new design.
Volunteers, please remember to wear your name badge when you volunteer. Thanks, and have a great day!
Friday, March 19, 2010
- Thursday, April 29, All day - Inventory! - The library will be closed, and we will inventory the children's section. Volunteers are welcome to help scan library materials and clean.
- Thursday, April 29, 5:00 pm - Staff Meeting - All active volunteers may attend. Come, meet staff, learn what's new, and share your ideas!
- Thursday, May 6, 6:00 pm - Volunteer Appreciation Event - Thank you for completing the online survey and sharing your preferences. May 6 was the most popular day. More information to come!
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Your friendly Volunteer Coordinator
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
- Sort plastic HEB bags.
- Run copies of library brochures and neatly fold them.
- Make sure the adult DVDs are in the correct order (fiction and non-fiction)
- Make sure the adult AUDIO books are in the correct order (fiction and non-fiction; cassette and CD).
- Sharpen pencils for the library.
- Dust the library shelves.
- Shelf-read the adult non-fiction 001-320.
- Shelf-read the adult non-fiction 320-508.
- Shelf-read the adult non-fiction 508-640.
- Shelf-read the adult non-fiction 640-740.
- Shelf-read the adult non-fiction 740-820.
- Shelf-read the adult non-fiction 820-999.
- Sort the E-book bins in the children's room ("E" stands for easy reader, like picture books!).
- Tidy the children's area: puzzles, Legos, and games in the study room).
- Search the library's online catalog. Identify, locate, and pull books for the displays.
- Organize the newspapers. Make sure the dates are together. Put them away.
- Front face books in the adult section.
- Other ideas? See something else that needs done? Let us know - add your comments to this post!
Monday, February 22, 2010
Monday, February 8, 2010
Last December, we posted an ad on VolunteerMatch.org looking for a qualified volunteer to coordinate our monthly, rotating Picturing America exhibit. Genia responded with enthusiasm! Last month, she created an exhibit based on a Martin Luther King, Jr. theme. This month, the theme was American presidents.
Come to the library to see her excellent work! Each months she frames high-quality reprints of American art, creates coordinating bookmarks, pulls related library materials that patrons can check out, prints and displays informative text, and prepares audio tours.
When I asked Genia what she likes best about volunteering at the library, she says, "I come to the library every month and set up a new exhibit. It's fun to volunteer by doing something creative."
Thank you for your excellent service to our library and community, Genia!
Thursday, January 28, 2010
I want to quickly share just a few examples of how your help benefited our library this past year:
- The materials in our adult non-fiction section were to shifted to make more space. Thanks, David!
- Librarians had more time to plan great library programs because volunteers managed our desk shifts. Thanks, Lois, Laurie, Inna, Tabish, Ricardo, Susmitha, and Danielle!
- Library patrons could buy books from our ongoing book sale because a volunteer sorted them on a weekly basis. Thanks, Sarah!
- Adults and kids attended programs of all kinds (arts & crafts, science, story times, family-friendly concerts). Thanks, Dianne, Jolanda, Alexandra, Casey, Krissy, Ana, many more!
- Adults attended helpful computer classes taught by experienced volunteers. Thanks, Alison, Mark, and Jonathan!
- More books were added to our collection because volunteers cataloged and processed them. Thanks Kathleen, Sandra, and Andrea!
- Library users could find movies to watch and graphic novels to read because students from Connelly High School organized them every week. Thanks, VOE team!
- Our glass windows looked squeaky clean and clear because volunteers washed them inside and out. Thanks, volunteers from Dell! People found the items they needed and discovered new ones because volunteers shelved and organized materials. Thanks Michael, Tom, Joyce, Billy and Jackie, Joy, Sean, Nadia, Kavya, Divya, Laurie, Dawit, Jeffrey, Safiul, Ana, Victoria, Cassandra, Benju, Prativa, Angel, Timothy, Oralia, Phuong, Carlie, Meredith, Emily, Steven, Jennifer, Tuan, Aashara, Aaron, Alpha, and Kian!
- Our landscape looks lovely and supports native plants due to the dedicated efforts of a volunteer. Thanks, Lois!
- Kids enjoy monthly chess classes because a volunteer teaches them. Thanks, Tom!
The impact is clear—
Our volunteers make the library a better place
and help us meet the needs of our community.
We can’t thank you enough!
Thursday, January 21, 2010
"I really enjoy volunteering at the Wells Branch Library! I help Kristin in the Children's Storytime Department. It is really fun to help the kids and see them develop with their skills. This is one of the best storytimes that I have encountered. Kristin reads three stories and then the kids do a craft after. It is also really neat to meet new people and build new relationships with the parents and kids. Not to mention that the WB Library has so much to offer with programs and learning opportunities, and let's not forget the books!" - Krissy Mireles
We are so thankful for Krissy. She volunteers with energy and kindness, and we are fortunate to have her on our volunteer team!
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
What - Volunteer Appreciation Event
Where - Kenny's Coffee House
Address - 14735 Bratton Lane, Austin, TX 78728
When - Thursday, February 18, 6:30-7:30 pm
Who - Wells Branch Community Library Volunteers
Experience a warm and friendly setting in a local coffee shop. Enjoy complimentary beverages and sweet treats. Mingle with and meet other volunteers. Don't wait - mark your calendars today to attend!
Our exceptional volunteers make our library a better place!